4/28/2011 2:10:00 PM | Sustainable Solutions for Wind Energy
| Hans Landin
Many wind turbines are nearing the end of their warranty periods. Others are experiencing premature bearing failure. Unplanned wind turbine maintenance and downtime may be unavoidable and costly. Timken can help.
Our wind-energy solutions keep your equipment running more reliably and for longer periods of time than you may be currently experiencing.
Some industry experts estimate that nearly 40,000 MW of installed turbines are due to reach the end of their warranty periods in the U.S this year. Others are predicting that operations and maintenance costs for wind-power assets will be double or triple original industry expectations. We also are already seeing many main shaft and gearbox bearings being replaced well short of their 20-year design life spans. These factors point to a growing need for wind turbine bearing repair and refurbishment.
Timken collaborates with wind turbine and gearbox designers and manufacturers to develop bearing solutions that accommodate a wide range of operating parameters. For wind farm owners and operators, we offer a full range of products and support services to help keep equipment running longer and with reduced total cost of ownership.
Whether your turbine maintenance is planned or unplanned, downtime can cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. Timken helps with reliable and innovative bearing products and services.
Stop by the Timken booth (number 4435) at the American Wind Energy Association’s WindPower show, May 22-25 in Anaheim to see our full line of wind-energy solutions and newly introduced products to help you make the upgrade to wind turbine sustainability.
Timken solutions promote maximum performance and sustainable wind power:
• Main shaft designs for on-shore and off-shore applications;
• Wear-Resistant roller bearings to help reduce life-limiting wear issues;
• Advanced gearbox bearing designs to increase gearbox power density.
Timken solutions promote wind turbine reliability and uptime:
• Predictive maintenance programs, including continuous on-line monitoring designed for wind energy applications;
• Material and process enhancements designed to get the greatest productivity out of your wind turbine main shafts and gearboxes;
• Repair services, including main shaft inspection and repair, bearing repair, and installation tools;
• Bearing aftermarket upgrades, including interchangeable Wear-Resistant bearings and tapered roller bearings re-designs;
• Wind turbine system upgrades, including automatic lubrication systems and seals.
Come see us at WindPower 2011. I look forward to meeting you. Our wind-energy engineers and sales and service specialists also will be on hand.
To help us prepare, use this blog to let us know about your equipment downtime concerns!
Are you likely to have wind turbines down for repair this year? If so, what problems are you expecting most? And how much do you think each incident will cost you? How can Timken help?